Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Bit of a Stretch

I have always been suspicious of stretching. From my earliest days as a runner I couldn’t for the life of me see how stretching a muscle before or after a work-out could reduce the risk of injury. If anything, it seemed to me that pulling a muscle was something that happened to you, not something you’d willingly undertake as an injury preventive. After taking a few yoga classes, I came to see the benefits of stretching in increased flexibility and range of motion. Yet it still seemed to me that the amount of time necessary to engage in a yoga class or comprehensive stretching program was out of proportion to the limited benefits. I currently have no formal stretching routine. I also have never been injured, or should I say, I never sustained an injury that would have been prevented by stretching.

A week or so ago, the New York Times Well blog had a posting that reviewed recent scientific studies pertaining to stretching. The conclusion? Researchers now believe that stretching is not only a waste of time, but might actually be bad for you. Stretching, the studies conclude, may actually weaken muscles rather than strengthen them, and your flexibility and range of motion is likely genetically predetermined and cannot be expanded without tremendous effort.

“In a recent study conducted at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, athletes generated less force from their leg muscles after static stretching than they did after not stretching at all. Other studies have found that this stretching decreases muscle strength by as much as 30 percent. Also, stretching one leg’s muscles can reduce strength in the other leg as well, probably because the central nervous system rebels against the movements.”

Unfortunately, the study doesn’t distinguish between pre- and post- workout stretching, and many runners I know forgo the former but religiously engage in the latter. I feel somewhat validated in my non-stretching position, but I still wonder whether as I venture further into my 40s I should be worried more about flexibility than performance on the road. Thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. i don't stretch before a run anymore but I find it helpful afterwards. After a long run a good stretch followed by soaking my legs in ice water and then a hot shower seems to work well. (That and a nice frosty one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try ice water, but I'm a bit of a chicken. The beer sounds pretty good though. I used to live near a Korean spa that had hot and cold soaking pools along with saunas. Sheer heaven, although the $35 entry fee meant infrequent visits. Check out the web site, it's like Disneyland for adults:

    http://nyspacastle.com/eng/main/main.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to stretch before runs, but I just get antsy and want to get going. I usually just start slow and throw in a tad bit of dynamic stretching before I take off. But once Im finished running Im more apt to ice myself in front of the TV than actually stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever had more time I might be persuaded to try it consistently to see if I get any results. So far I think ice, beer and TV win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason I stretch after a run is to try and increase my flexibility. I know people say it's supposed to reduce the chance of injury, and that's usually the reason I give. But the truth is, I just want to be able to touch my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it work? My toes seem further away recently. Some would say age, I blame tight hamstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're going to stretch at the start you should run for 5-10 minutes to warm up the muscles. The other thing to do before starting a run is to do some moves like kicks and knee raises that involve the muscles you're going to use during the run. Stretching after does tend to make me feel better. The ice bath sounds awful but is fine after the first few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm still not even close. But I feel like I'm closer. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part!

    ReplyDelete