Monday, May 24, 2010

Weekend Report

Another great week-end on Long Island. I took Saturday off to rest the legs and got my exercise working in the garden. I have a variety of vegetables slowly growing in the back yard; tomatoes, strawberries, beans, etc. I find that gardening leaves me considerably more tired than the running, probably because I’m not used to the bending and lifting. Still, it feels good to be out there digging in the ground.

Yesterday I set out for a six miler in the nature preserve, only to be thwarted by a locked fence. I was momentarily perturbed, until I realized that at 6:30am on a Sunday morning, the gates were unlikely to be open. I’m seemingly unable to sleep past 6am on the weekends; which is a little annoying, although I guess my body has finally adapted to the early to bed early to rise sleep cycle. It helps when the sun comes up around 5:45am. Despite being shut out from the wonders of the preserve, I still saw a healthy-looking red fox with a big bushy tail trotting across a suburban street about 10 feet in front of where I was running. Nature is adaptable, I guess. I finished the run on the road and felt pretty good. My knee was putting up a mild protest towards the end of the run, but it was nothing like the pain of a few weeks ago. Into the week we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment