Friday, October 9, 2009

A Busy Week

Packing, building things, cleaning, more packing. I’m right in the thick of it now. Tonight I plan to shove the remaining contents of my two bedroom apartment into cardboard boxes. I will drink wine while doing so. The wine will be consumed before tackling the bedroom closet, but after disconnecting the electrical supply for the ceiling fan. We’ll be up late, I fear, since the early part of the week was dedicated to making the Syosset house habitable and torturing Ikea hardware with Allen wrenches. The boys will be spending the night with grandma out in Mt. Sinai.

Like many New Yorkers I have moved fairly frequently. Over the last 20 years I have lived in at least 10 apartments. During the past two decades I have reduced the act of pulling up roots and transplanting them in greener fields to a set series of movements, performed in order, over the course of several months. Granted, there are always small surprises, usually revolving around broken promises made by U-Haul and Ryder, and plenty of last minute scrambling, but overall things have gone smoothly.

For the first time I’ve hired a couple of helpers. Hopefully they will arrive on time and reasonably sober, but if I have to handle it alone I can. I have before. All this activity has left little time for running-I was only able to muster up a 33 mile week-but that is to be expected. I’ll have to take off tomorrow, seeing as how it is the actual moving day, but I’ll be back on the road on Sunday. See you then.

S: 6
M: 5
T: 5
W: 12
Th: off
Fri: 5
Sat: off
Total: 33

No comments:

Post a Comment