Tuesday, March 16, 2010

From the WTF Files

Running can be a dangerous sport. Runners generally do their work-outs faithfully, in all kinds of weather, on the roads and trails, in the pitch black of night and in the subdued light of dusk and dawn. Traffic is our worst enemy, with most drivers so intent on texting and talking on the phone that they never even notice the poor little runner toiling away in the breakdown lane until he ends up as roadkill, stuck to the rear wheel of their Cadillac Escalades.

I don’t know about you, but when I go on vacation to somewhere warm, one of my favorite activities is to head to the beach and run on the hard, packed sand right near the water’s edge. With the sound of the ocean and the light sea breezes I feel like I can run forever. Sometimes when I feel like a little music, I’ll plug in my ipod and head out for an hour or two. I can let my mind wander, because, after all, there isn’t any traffic on the beach. The worst thing that could happen by not paying attention is getting my Saucony’s drenched by a rogue wave, right? Apparently wrong.

I came across this on the AP wire today: “A 38-year-old father of two was jogging and listening to his iPod when he was hit from behind and killed by a small plane making an emergency landing on the beach, officials said Tuesday.

Robert Gary Jones of Woodstock, Ga., died instantly Monday evening when he was hit by the single-engine plane, which had lost its propeller, said Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen. The pilot's vision was blocked by oil on the windshield.

Jones apparently did not see or hear the plane, which was "basically gliding," the coroner said.”
Runners beware. Rogue planes are the latest in a long list of challenges we have to confront when engaging in our sport. I really don’t know what to say about this. What incredibly bad luck.

1 comment: