Friday, March 26, 2010

Who Dat?

Yesterday’s weather was spring-like, at least in the morning. To celebrate the fair conditions, I headed out for a seven mile trail run in the nature preserve. This was my longest run since the Philadelphia Marathon back in November and I’m happy to say the legs held up fine despite the fact that I did the whole thing in my minimalist Nike Free shoes. Many of the paths in the preserve are multi-use, the second use being horseback riding, so the run involved leaping over a not inconsiderable number of foreign objects on the trails, if you know what I mean.

I was going to skip my customary spring ½ marathon this year, but I felt so good yesterday that I’m reconsidering an invitation I got from some ex-coworkers to run the Long Branch ½ down on the Jersey Shore the first week-end in May. I think I can pull it off if I can squeeze in a couple of 10 milers between now and then.

Sunday the family and I leave for a trip to New Orleans so maybe I can get in a longish run in the Garden District in-between stuffing my face with beignets and gumbo. I’m a bit of a foodie, so I’m pretty excited to be going back to the City with the most original cuisine in the States. It’s hard to get a bad meal in that City. I printed up a lot of suggestions from the message boards on chowhound.com and I have a couple of local favorites I want to re-visit (e.g. Mr. Bs). Hopefully I can balance the eating with the running so I don’t gain too much weight, but hey, it’s vacation and shit happens.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment